Tuesday, September 10, 2013

In The House of Unborn Stories

Now that I am looking into becoming a B-Corp freelance business (more on that in my previous post) I am re-examining my bucket list.

We all know about bucket lists, right?

Things to do before we die, countries to visit, exotic foods to eat...

As a writer I have a bucket list too, but it is more like, things I want to write about before I die.

Topics that maybe I haven't pitched to editors before, because I am not sure if anyone but me (in the whole world) would be interested in reading about that topic, or possibly just because I haven't gotten around to it yet. There are stories ideas in there, too, and unsung poems.

It feels like a risky business, pitching an idea to an editor of a magazine or web site, maybe for the first time ever. You want to make sure you put forward your best idea.

But then you have all these ideas sitting in the sock drawer of your mind, bouncing around, squealing to be let out. I may not be sure if they are any good, but that doesn't mean that they don't still want to be written.

 Some say that that is the test of a worthy topic to write on, actually, whether it is an article or a poem or a book. If you have been obsessing about it for weeks, months, years, then maybe there is something there.

So this is a good opportunity to air out my sock drawer and let out all the ideas. The good ones, the bad, the embaressing, the ones so close to my heart I have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to use them...

So far I have pitched 4 of my "sock drawer" ideas to some magazine editors.

But I won't tell you which. Not yet, anyway.

Now, the waiting game.

Also known affectionately as the "refresh-your-email-account-till-your-fingers-are-completely-crippled-with-RSI" game.

More on my adventures on becoming B-Corp in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...