Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review: The Wood Wife by Terri Windling


If you enjoy reading mythic fiction and urban fantasy, "The Wood Wife" will keep you reading past the wicked hours of midnight till you get to the final, last tantalizing page. Written by award winning editor and author Terri Windling, "The Wood Wife" mixes shamanism, poetry, magic and murder mystery in the heart of the desert.

The main protagonist, Maggie Black, leaves her home and her ex-husband in Los Angelos and moves to the Tucson desert where she has inherited a house from a famous but reclusive poet named Davis Cooper. Maggie soon begins to plan a biography on the poet and starts to unwravel the secrets and mysticism surrounding his life, and death.

"The Wood Wife" was a thoroughly enchanting read. I can't remember the last time the fragile magic of a book left traces of inspiration clinging to my mind for so many days. Terri Windling touches on the very heart of magic and the spell of isolated, wild places in this stunning novel. After reaching the end of the book I felt so sad I had finished it. The book was over - and yet - I wanted to read more.

So I read it twice.

In my world, that's about the biggest thumbs up a book can get. If you would like to learn more, visit Terri Windlings web site and blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...